Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Inuyasha
      Participant

A 22 pound lobster was caught off the shores of maine. From what I know iis about a hundred years old. A few days after being shipped from Maine to a zoo in Pitt it died. I think it died at least. Any ideas on how a lobster can outlive the rest of its brethen by ten times?

thank.darwin
      Participant

I think I ate that lobster 😈 😀 😆 😉 😳 – I’m from Maine

I don’t know how it might have been able to live that long?

mith
      Participant

uhhhh….hybrid vigor?

Inuyasha
      Participant

No there was no hyrbid vigor. It was just a regular redback. I’ll post some more infomation as soon as I get a chance

Inuyasha
      Participant
      biostudent84
      Participant
      quote thank.darwin:

I think I ate that lobster 😈 😀 😆 😉 😳 – I’m from Maine

I don’t know how it might have been able to live that long?

I lived in Eastport, Maine for eighteen months. What gets me though is that anyone from Maine knows that the bigger a lobster is, the tougher the meat…who would want th eat that thing? 😆

MrMistery
      Participant

As I understand it, nobody wanted to eat him, that’s nobody bought him for eating. By the way, are you guys sure it died cause it doesn’t say so in that article.
      Another thing, who would want to work at the University of Maine’s Lobster Institute? someone who has lobsters for a hobby? Is there such a person?

Inuyasha
      Participant

well lobster farming is really big up in maine. Their is acutually a science behind it. By studying habitats they can find the ideal water for certain lobsters. And i’m pretty sure the lobster did die.

MrMistery
      Participant

No contradiction there. It just seems strange, when people ask you what you do for a living to say “I’m a lobster researcher” 😀 😀

Inuyasha
      Participant

Well i think they have a fancy name. Like ectodermist researcher. LOL

biostudent84
      Participant
      quote Inuyasha:

well lobster farming is really big up in maine. Their is acutually a science behind it. By studying habitats they can find the ideal water for certain lobsters. And i’m pretty sure the lobster did die.

You’re right. Lobster fishing is one of the only commercial fishing industries that is not running the risk of being overfished. Lobster fishermen know that if they take too many lobsters too quickly, the industry will die. Not surprisingly, it was fishermen that petitioned for strict laws regarding lobster fishing. If you’ve ever read anything similar to “Strange Laws of the USA,” you might see that it is illegal in Maine to catch a lobster with your bare hands. This is because diving for lobsters allows the diver to select the best lobster, and leave the less desired ones in the water. Were this allowed to happen, then the lobster industry would be really good for a little while….then turn to nothing.

Inuyasha
      Participant

Right as usual. I was just about ready to post almost the same thing you had Biostudent. Ok peace

MrMistery
      Participant

That law does sound very strange kyle. But it makes sence. I learned something today
      Peace,
      Andrew

Inuyasha
      Participant

Too bad. You can’t eat the lobster now. The shell is on exhibit at ripley’s believe it or not and the meat has been buried.

gunsnammo
      Participant

actually the lobster or “bug” just died recently, not after he was moved here to pitt.

Charlene
      Participant

Ohoh~~~ Speaking of lobsters, I’ve seen an opal color lobster. It’s rare, but not virtually impossible to have. It’s just like a rare eye color in a human. It was indeed rare for fishermen to find an opal color lobster in the deep oceans. ❗

Charlene
      Participant

I personally think that they should have released the lobster back into the ocean instead of having a desire to own it….. 🙄

Inuyasha
      Participant

But it died already… besides the lobster was acutally disrupting the ecosystem.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.