- December 18, 2006 at 4:39 am #6582
I was thinking the other day…..that whether or not the level of carbon dioxide would be lower in winter than in summer……coz green plants have no leaves (i.e. chloroplasts) to carry out photosynthesis in winter and hence less carbon dioxide would be taken in for photosynthesis.
Correct me if I am wrong!
- December 18, 2006 at 5:12 am #63164
I think you mean higher in winter, not lower. Sorry, I just noticed that. but that does make sense. I don’t know for sure that it would be, but the hypothesis is interesting. I would have to agree with you.
Good thinking 😀
- December 18, 2006 at 2:40 pm #63194canalonParticipant
Think hemispheres… What is the season in Australia? Beside most of the photosynthesis seems to be carried out by algae and rain forest (no seasonnality between the tropics).
- December 18, 2006 at 4:02 pm #63197
yea. That’s what I meant. Higher in winter that is! So you were saying, that you agreed with me?quote :
- December 18, 2006 at 7:16 pm #63232zagrebqtParticipant
interesting…you gave me stuff to think over…i’ll ask my friends to see what they think (interesting coffe topic):)….you could be right…
- December 18, 2006 at 10:42 pm #63253SU_reptileParticipant
Have you seen canalon’s post??
- December 19, 2006 at 12:15 am #63269
Yes, with the hemispheres it probably does even out. However, is there an equal amount of plants in both hemispheres that would be affected by seasons?
- December 19, 2006 at 12:46 am #63273
Are you kidding me? We have cars that are left to warm up in the morning to compensate! 😆
- December 19, 2006 at 5:22 am #63292kjleParticipantquote Oscerot:
Don’t see what that has to do with Carbon Dioxide
- December 19, 2006 at 5:28 am #63294quote kpoehlke:
Might be his car takes CO2 and makes ethanol for fuel… 😆 😆
The seasonal change is compensated as there will be opposite season in other hemisphear. And co2 is balanced.
- December 19, 2006 at 8:58 am #63302
As a result, would there be LESS carbon dioxide in warmer countries (e.g. Australia) than in colder countries (e.g. UK)?
- December 19, 2006 at 9:04 pm #63349
Um…car emission gives of CO2….
- December 20, 2006 at 3:17 am #63383LinnParticipant
Have you ever heard the term: thin winter air?
Yes there is less oxygen more co2 in the winter.
Most of the trees are found in the northern Hemisphere. (about three fourths) there’s always less CO2 in the air when it’s summer.
Also I have read something about ions effect on co2 levels from snow.
If any one has heard about that?
But these are only slight differences.
most Global oxygen is produced by oceanic phytoplankton and algae as well as from rain frorests, as Patrick pointed out.
- December 20, 2006 at 7:33 pm #63473
I thought there were more trees in the northern hemisphere!! Ok, cool.
- December 20, 2006 at 7:47 pm #63475
Trees rock my world.
- December 21, 2006 at 11:20 am #63539destinyParticipantquote Oscerot:
Yeah, without trees, there wouldn’t be oxygen. And without oxygen, people would die and soon human will become extinct.
- December 21, 2006 at 12:22 pm #63545
imagine a world without oxygen…….that would be tres tres triste………no life what so ever……
- December 22, 2006 at 7:30 am #63630Dr.SteinParticipant
I am a green alien, I breath with nitrogen, I produce oxygen for you, human race, via photosynthesis. Greeting from Mars beep beep 😆
- December 22, 2006 at 9:01 am #63637destinyParticipantquote Dr.Stein:
Ohno, an alien is here. LOL. 😆 😆 😆
- December 23, 2006 at 6:57 pm #63773MrMisteryParticipant
hey mr martian, do you mind if i use you for getting a PhD?
- December 24, 2006 at 5:44 pm #63890quote MrMistery:
Me too but Dr.stein would be Ms.Martian. 🙂
Does it rhymes with Mr.Mistry. 😕
Yes??? Then totaly 2 martians for my Ph.D………. 😆
- December 24, 2006 at 6:09 pm #63900EnzymeParticipantquote Dr.Stein:
He he, you are a cool alien, you can fix nitrogen with your nitrogenase :D.
- December 24, 2006 at 6:32 pm #63912MrMisteryParticipant
well i have been called "such a geek that probably not from this world"..
- December 24, 2006 at 6:38 pm #63916quote MrMistery:
- December 24, 2006 at 6:47 pm #63919EnzymeParticipantquote MrMistery:
Who was the person? 😉 😛
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.