Biology Forum Genetics 1 attached, 1 unattached earlobe

10 voices
10 replies
  • Author
      thermal
      Participant

Hi,

I have one attached and one unattached earlobe. I always was a little bit proud of it because I have never heard of anyone with this feature. A long time ago a friend said he told his geneticist friend about it and she didn’t believe him saying it was impossible.

I never bothered investigating it but recently my interest has been piked.

What does it mean? Am I some future evolution of human and likely to develop super powers momentarily?

If anyone doesn’t believe me or wants to see I can provide photos.

MichaelXY
      Participant

I guess you forgot about that Pit bull that you had as a child 🙂

Jones
      Participant

Dude, I do too. One attached one unattached. We did this thing in like 6th grade with genetic traits and she said I must of had something happen to it. But whatever! I totally wanna high five you.

MrMistery
      Participant

normally, they are the same trait, determined by the same gene. that is why the genetics enthusiast said it was impossible. But your condition is surely not the cause of genetics, but of some anomaly in development. No idea what though…

Darby
      Participant

It can be a mosaicism, where during development you don’t get proper distribution of chromosomes – cells that developed one ear were missing the chromosome that had the dominant allele, so only the recessive was at work.

I’ve got a spot of red hair that almost certainly came about the same way.

cy
      Participant

I want to have your photo!!!!hehe

mcar
      Participant
      quote :

thermal wrote:What does it mean? Am I some future evolution of human and likely to develop super powers momentarily?

…super powers… 🙄

ecupirate2010
      Participant

Hey, I also have one attached earlobe and one unattached. I have a theory that I am a chimera. Google the disease Chimerism, it is really interesting. You might actually be two people in one. I have other symptoms, such as my skins being slightly different colors on the right side of my body versus the left side. My hair also is different on the right side versus left side. One of my eyes is nearsided while the other is farsided. It is actually pretty cool. 🙂

kister
      Participant

I have that exact some problem. Unlike you i haven’t been proud of it. I always thought there was something seriously wrong with me and so did everyone else around me!! Have you found out anything else about this topic???

Annij
      Participant
      quote ecupirate2010:

Hey, I also have one attached earlobe and one unattached. I have a theory that I am a chimera. Google the disease Chimerism, it is really interesting. You might actually be two people in one. I have other symptoms, such as my skins being slightly different colors on the right side of my body versus the left side. My hair also is different on the right side versus left side. One of my eyes is nearsided while the other is farsided. It is actually pretty cool. 🙂

It’s not a disease. And as far as I know, many people who have these bonus chromosomes don’t even realize they do.

Darby
      Participant

There is another possibility – some individuals are actually two individuals that merged as embryos: fraternal twins become one person. Parts of the individual are genetically distinct. First discovered, I think, when a CSI investigations decided that a child’s mother was actually the aunt (child produced from one individual’s ovaries, cell sample taken from the other individual’s cheek). And there was NO question that she had given birth to the child.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members