Biology Forum Community General Discussion Photosynthesis

5 voices
6 replies
  • Author
      rosebud
      Participant

Can anyone tell me the products of respiration when oxygen is absent?

Thanks for ur help
      8)

victor
      Participant

In respiration process, Oxygen is used as e- acceptor to form O2-. When the presence of Oxygen is none, it means anaerobic respiration where the acceptor of e- is not oxygen but other substances (e.g. sulphur, nitrogen) or other hydrocarbon chain (e.g. ethyl alcohol).

When Oxygen is replaced by those things above, so the waste product isn’t all of them CO2 but other molecules get included also.

Hope this helps,
      Victor

VeenaandNivyah
      Participant

anaerobic respiration is of two types: one in plants and the other in animal
      cells at times.
      in yeast cells, the end product is ethanol
      at times, when v work out really hard then our muscle cells respire anaerobically to produce more energy to supplement the energy already being produced.in this case, lactic acid is produced as the end-product.

generally organisms respire aerobically as more energy [38 ATP ]
      when compared to the 2 ATP produced during anaerobic respiration.

this is because during anaerobic respiration partial glycolysis or partial break-down of food to release energy takes place, whereas during aerobic, complete glycolysis takes place
      in case u need equations,
      food[glucose] ➡ pyruvate ➡ ethanol in plants
      food[glucose] ➡ pyruvate ➡ lactic acid in muscle cells

hope u get what im trying to convey 😆
      in case u have doubts do ask my textbook is always there to answer ❗

rosebud
      Participant

thanks a lot

😛

victor
      Participant
      quote VeenaandNivyah:

generally organisms respire aerobically as more energy [38 ATP ]
      when compared to the 2 ATP produced during anaerobic respiration.

Only prokaryotic produces 38 ATP in aerobic respiration while eukaryotic cells produce 36 ATP..

February Beetle
      Participant

I thought only 36-38 ATP can be produced in Eucaryotic cells because the last two stages, Krebs cycle and Electron Transport occurs in the mitochondria (liquid inner portion and the cristae) which are not in Prokaryotic cells. And, Electron Transport is where most of the ATP is made (up to 34 ATP per glucose molecule). As I understand it, the number of ATP can go up to 38 in Eucaryotic cells per glucose molecule depending on … (something.)

Glycolysis always produces 2 (net) ATP
      Krebs produces 2 ATP
      Electron Transport produces up to 34 ATP (usually 32-34.)

I don’t know much about how prokaryotic cells produce ATP but I do know Eucaryotic cells can produce 38.

MrMistery
      Participant

I agree with you. Even humans can do both respiration pathways
      @february beetle(nice user, by the way)
      Oxido-reduction also takes place at bacteria, in mesosoms. the reactions are similar, almost identical…
      OUT…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members