Biology Forum Human Biology st johns wort 2000

last updated by nugget 18 years ago
4 voices
6 replies
  • Author
      nugget
      Participant

I came across this vitamin that supposedly will help to decrease stress and anxiety, but apparently you need to take it for a long period of time to see some change.

Has anybody tried this vitamin and seen any results?

Jondice
      Participant

I’ve heard (and experienced) better results from magnolia bark extract.

nugget
      Participant

is that found at health food stores? you have used it urself, if you dont mind me asking.

pdavis68
      Participant

If you’re taking anything else for anxiety, particularly SSRIs (seratonin specific re-uptake inhibitors), then you SHOULD NOT take St. John’s Wort. St. John’s Wort operates in a manner similar to these drugs (Paxil, Zoloft, etc). Taking them together can result in a potentially fatal condition known as seratonin syndrome.

The fact that it’s over the counter is misleadin about its safety. If I were you, I’d see a professional about managing your stress/anxiety. The best choice would probably be a therapist that specializes in anxiety disorders.

There are also methods that can be very helpful that don’t involve drugs and you might really want try that route first. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is VERY effective in treating anxiety. It’s not like the old days of freudian therapy. You learn specific techniques for dealing with anxiety.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Jondice
      Participant

Magnolia Bark is available over the counter and is quite inexpensive; I ordered mine online.

If you want some info on it try

http://www.fitfaq.com/magnolia-bark.html

All this and more available on the first page of doing a google search for magnolia bark, btw =p. Gotta love google ads.

Linn
      Participant

Pay attention to what Pete said above.
      This "herb" has also been shown to NOT do as was
      claimed.
      Herbs are a drug like any other. Be safe.
      ~Lynne

nugget
      Participant

thanks, no im not taking anything else. idont usuallly ever take anything for anything its just something i saw, im aware now, it should be alright. the only other supplement is vit c and fish oil. ill check with my doctor too

thanks guys 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members